Thursday, June 17, 2004

Malone (and thus the Lakers) got old fast

I almost forgot to post about the Detroit-Lakers Championship Series. There's been enough said about the buzz saw that the Lakers ran into with Detroit (and congrats to the team and their fans, by the way -- they outplayed the lakers in every respect), but it seems to me that the series would have been very different if Karl Malone was A) not injured; and B) not 40 years old, which is most definitely the major contributor to injury.

Malone is in great shape, especially for a 40 year old, however having recently turned 40 myself, and not playing 260 pound players (or rarely at least), I can't even begin to imagine the recovery time it takes for him to "feel good" again after a game. I play 1.5 to 2 hours a day usually 4 days a week, and I can barely move most mornings. It used to be that I could play all day and be ready to play again the next day, almost every day. But no mo'. At 40, bones, cartlidge, ligaments, etc. just aren't as flexible as they were at 20 or even 30 years old.

Maybe I need to take up Yoga.

No comments: